Projects → U-M Projects in Detroit → U-M Detroit History
U-M Detroit History
Looking forward to the University of Michigan’s bicentennial celebration in 2017, the University of Michigan Detroit Center plans to sponsor activities that reaffirm and enlighten us on the roots of the University’s founding in the City of Detroit in 1817. As part of this objective, the following timeline provides an overview of this historic event, as well as resources for more detailed study. This project is made possible by the Office of the Senior Vice Provost of Academic Affairs and Arts of Citizenship.
- Augustus Woodward, Rev. John Monteith, Fr. Gabriel Richard and William Woodbridge devise an educational plan for the territory of Michigan modeled on the University of France.
- Judge Woodward drafts the Act of 1817 establishing Catholepistemiad, or the University of Michigania that is made into territorial law on August 26, 1817.
- Rev. John Monteith named president and Fr. Gabriel Richard named vice-president of the University of Michigania.
- The University’s original seal is adopted on September 12, 1817. The meaning of “Epistemia” translates to knowledge.
- Thirteen professorships established: literature, mathematics, natural history, natural philosophy, astronomy, chemistry, medical science, economics, ethics, military science, history, intellectual science, and universal science. Monteith is granted seven professorships, while Richard is granted the remaining six.
- General Lewis Cass, govenor of the Territory of Michigan negotiates the Treaty of Fort Meigs on September 29th, 1817 and persuades the Ojibwe (Chippewa), Odawa (Ottawa), and Bodewadimi (Potawatami) tribes of the Ohio Valley to cede 3,840 acres of land: 1,920 acres are earmarked to the University of Michigania and the other half to St. Anne’s Church of Detroit.
- A school building is constructed on Bates Street near Congress Street in Detroit.
- The University Act of 1821 is passed on April 30, 1821; this repeals the earlier act of 1817 and establishes the University of Michigan. This marks the end of University of Michigania; Monteith and Richards are replaced by a Board of Trustees.
- Michigan establishes statehood.
- The Organic Act of 1837 creates the University of Michigan, with a Board of Regents, consisting of 12 governor-appointed individuals, replacing the former Board of Trustees.
- On March 18, 1837, the Ann Arbor Land Company, offers to sell the state forty acres of land for the site of the University. Two days later, the legislature passes an act to relocate the University to Ann Arbor.
Significant Historic Markers in Detroit
Significant Historic Marker in Ann Arbor
Native American Land Gift – located on the University of Michigan Central Campus Diag between the Chemistry and Natural Science buildings.
- More info about the Native American Land Gift
The link to the above article mentions the land gift was 640 acres; however, according to documents held at the Bentley Historical Library, the total land gift was actually 1,920 acres. Source: Peckham, H. (1994). The Making of The University of Michigan, 1817-1992. Ann Arbor, Michigan: University of Michigan Press. (p.8)
- Native American Land Gift Historical Marker Dedication
The University of Michigan was one of the first public universities in the United States, however, since the university was founded two decades before Michigan established statehood (1837), it cannot receive credit for being a “state” university from 1817-1837.
Related Historical Documentation
- List of Catholepistemiad leadership (1817-1821) and University of Michigan Board of Trustees (1821-1837)
- General University of Michigan history timeline (1817-2002)
- “Idea of Michigan” Video – created by Hazen Schumacher and written by Al Slote in 1961 to prepare for the University’s 150th anniversary
- Research Paper on Michigan’s Founding
- The original draft of the Act of 1817 establishing Catholepistemiad, or University of Michigania
- A table explaining the meaning of the names of the professorships mentioned in the Act of 1817
- A brief history of the University of Michigan, by C.I. Walker, published in the newspapers, 1869
- Appointment of Fr. Gabriel Richard to Professor of Mathematicks [sic] of the University of Michigania, Detroit
Acknowledgements Research and Content Development
- Erica Andrews, 2013 Arts of Citizenship Intern, University of Michigan Detroit Center Master’s Student, Center for the Study of Higher and Postsecondary Education, Rackham Graduate School
- Jina Kim, 2012 Arts of Citizenship Intern, University of Michigan Detroit Center Doctoral Student, English and Women’s Studies, Rackham Graduate School
Exhibition Design and Fabrication
- Stephen William Schudlich, Director of Exhibitions, work•detroit Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design, University of Michigan
- Andy Gabrysiak, Gallery Assistant, work•detroit Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design, University of Michigan
Webpage Design and Development
- Mike Morland, Communications Director, University of Michigan Detroit Center
- Web Developer
- Dr. Lester Monts, Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, University of Michigan
- Arts of Citizenship, Rackham Graduate School, University of Michigan
- Bentley Historical Library, MLibrary System, University of Michigan
- Burton Historical Collection, Detroit Public Library