Policy for Reserving Rooms at the Detroit Center
- The meeting room, exhibit space, studio, project room and offices in the Detroit Center are available to University of Michigan departments, non-profit and other external organizations for events, meetings, conferences, workshops, etc. The Detroit Center partners have priority scheduling over all spaces, however, non-partners may utilize this space for a modest fee.
- Logistics detailing your meeting and or event should be ascertained during the initial reservation. Name, date, time, contact information and type of accommodations required, should be completed utilizing the Detroit Center Reservation Request Form.
- A walk through of the Center should be scheduled with the Project Coordinator, who will review logistics, and if applicable, payment requirements.
- The user is expected to leave the Center in good condition for the next user, including clearing away all debris, dishes, containers, and leftovers. A determination will be made by the Detroit Center’s facilities staff of the need for cleanup beyond what is normally provided.
- A fee of $25 per hour will be charged for any additional cleanup. All hourly charged events will be charged an extra hour for setup and cleanup. No open flames are permitted. Serving of alcohol by University-sponsored groups is governed by the University of Michigan’s policy.
- The Detroit Center Administration is responsible for coordinating the use of the center. Requests for space reservations must be submitted through our room request online form
- Staff/Faculty/Organizations are reserved in the order in which requests are received, with consideration given to the size of the group, type of program and available space. Management reserves the right to assign and if necessary, reassign meetings to assure the most efficient and appropriate utilization of the center.
- Food service required for events must be made through approved caterers (see Food Service).
- Additional fees will be charged for special room setups, teardowns, resetting of rooms special cleaning or other additional services during an event.
- Willful or careless damage to the centers’ property or equipment shall necessitate a replacement and/or repair charge to the responsible group.
- Rooms can only be reserved one week before a major event is to take place for set-up and decoration. All decorations must be removed by the conclusion of the contracted time.
- The University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, including the Detroit Center, is a smoke free environment.
- All groups will abide with all published University and Detroit Center policies, regulations, guidelines and all local, state and federal laws.
- A responsible representative of the group must remain in the center until the event is completed. This includes staying on the site until all participants and/or vendors have left the building (i.e., entertainment, photographers, etc).
- Groups charging for event participation are not eligible for complimentary space usage, at any time.
- Unless approved by Center management, room cannot be booked for anything less than 50% of room capacity.
- With the exception of those paying a fee for room use, if 50% of projected capacity is not met more than once, the group will be charged $50 regardless of status.
- U-M units failing to cancel a room within 72 hours of its assigned date more than once in an academic year will be charged a $100 cancellation fee. Note: Groups are not subject to cancellation fees if the activity is cancelled due to severe weather conditions, an emergency leading to the closure of the Center, or the illness of the instructor or event coordinator.
- Damage to Center property by any group must be paid by that group within 10 business days of receipt of bill for damages.
- Center may not be booked or used again until all outstanding bills are paid.